Col. R. Allen Barksdale, Jr. is the commander of the 28th Operations Group, Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota. He commands the largest operational B-1 group in the U.S. Air Force with one operational support squadron, two bomb squadrons and operations of the Powder River Training Complex. Col. Barksdale sharpens the combat readiness of the 28th Bomb Wing bomber force for numerous worldwide deterrent roles.
Col. Barksdale received his commission from Officer Training School, Maxwell AFB, Ala. in April 1998. During his career, he has filled various training, staff, flying, and command positions. Colonel Barksdale has operational B-1 experience in U.S. Indo-Pacific Command as well as a combat tour in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Prior to his current assignment, Col. Barksdale served as North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command Liaison to U. S. Strategic Command.
1995 Bachelor of Science in Biology, Presbyterian College, Clinton, S.C.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Master of Science Degree in Military Operational Art, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2011 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. Apr 1998 – Feb 2001, Student, Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla.
2. February 2001 – March 2002, Student, B-1 Formal Training Unit, Dyess AFB, Texas.
3. March 2002 – January 2004, Wing Standards and Evaluation Liaison Officer, B-1 Weapon Systems Officer, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas.
4. January 2004 – March 2006, Assistant Chief of Scheduling, Joint Undergraduate Navigator Training Instructor, VT-86, NAS, Pensacola, Fla.
5. March 2006 – September 2006, Strike Standards and Evaluations Officer, VT-86, NAS, Pensacola, Fla.
6. September 2006 – July 2007, Chief, Standards and Evaluations, VT-86, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Fla.
7. July 2007 – March 2008, Assistant Flight Commander, B-1 Weapon Systems Officer, 34th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
8. March 2008 – July 2008, Flight Commander, B-1 Instructor Weapon Systems Officer, 34th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
9. July 2008 – September 2009, Assistant Director of Operations, 34th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB S.D.
10. September 2009 – July 2010, Executive Officer, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
11. July 2010 – June 2011, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. June 2011 – July 2012, Chief Programmer, Global Precision Attack Core Function Team, Plans and Programs Directorate, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
13. July 2012 – June 2013, Chief, Programs Integration Branch, Plans and Programs Directorate, Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
14. June 2013 – May 2014, Director of Operations, 28th Operations Support Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
15. May 2014 – June 2016, Commander, 28th Operations Support Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
16. July 2016 – May 2017, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
17. June 2017 – May 2018, Adversary 2 Branch Chief, J35, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
18. June 2018 – June 2019, North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command Liaison Officer to U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Ne.
19. June 2019 – Present, Commander, 28th Operations Group, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight Hours: More than 2,200
Combat Hours: 258
Aircraft Flown: B-1, T-34, T-1, T-39, T-2
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Navy and Marine Corp Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Army Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant April 24, 1998
First Lieutenant April 24, 2000
Captain April 1, 2002
Major October 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel October 1, 2012
Colonel June 1, 2018
(Current as of July 2019)