Col. Chad Heyen is the commander of the 28th Maintenance Group, Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota, where he directs all flight line and heavy maintenance efforts of the 28th Bomb Wing to ensure the readiness of 27 B-1 bombers to support daily flying activities, exercises deployments and wartime taskings. He oversees the production of a 1,500-person group with three squadrons, and is responsible for aerospace and munitions maintenance required to ensure balance between wing sortie production and fleet management. He ensures standardization of maintenance discipline, policies, procedures, safety compliance and maintenance management philosophy.
Colonel Heyen received his commission from ROTC in May 1996. He has served in a variety of assignments in the areas of aircraft maintenance and munitions maintenance, including two squadron command tours, two depot tours and staff tours at the MAJCOM and Air Staff level. Prior to his current position, Colonel Heyen served as the division chief of the Maintenance Systems and Operations Division, Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection Directorate, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley Air Force Base, Virginia. He was responsible for 4,500 Combat Air Force engines, supporting over 1,100 fighter, ISR and special mission aircraft. He led a diverse division of 37 personnel across 15 different maintenance career fields to oversee Air Combat Command’s avionics, pods, test equipment and aircraft support systems. Additionally, he developed, integrated and managed requirements, modernization and sustainment for aircraft systems worth $23 billion.
His operational deployments include Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation New Dawn.
1996 Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
1999 Master of Science in Technology Management, South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2008 Air Command & Staff College (correspondence)
2010 United States Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
2013 Air War College (correspondence)
2015 Master of Science in National Resource Strategy, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Fort Leslie J. McNair, Washington D.C.
1. September 1996 - January 2000, Accessories Flight Commander and Propulsion Flight Commander 28th Maintenance Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
2. September 1996 - January 2000, Sortie Generation Flight Commander, 77th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
3. January 2000 - July 2003, Program Manager, AGM-65 Maverick, Munitions Directorate, Hill AFB, Utah
4. January 2000 - July 2003, Production Chief, F-16 Branch, Maintenance Directorate, Ogden Air Logistics Center, Hill AFB, Utah
5. July 2003 - July 2006, Maintenance Operations Officer, 18th Munitions Squadron, Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan
6. July 2003 – July 2006, Maintenance Operations Officer, 18th Equipment Maintenance Squadron, Kadena AB, Okinawa, Japan
7. July 2006 - June 2008, Maintenance Operations Officer, 509th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
8. June 2008 - June 2009, Commander, 509th Maintenance Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
9. June 2009 - June 2010, Student, U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kan.
10. June 2010 - June 2011, Chief, Nuclear Stockpile Logistics, Nuclear Requirements Division, Associate Chief of Staff, Strategic Deterrence & Nuclear Integration, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
11. June 2011 - May 2012, Commander, 332nd Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Joint Base Balad, Iraq and Ahmed Al Jaber Air Base, Kuwait
12. May 2012 - August 2014, Legislative Liaison, Logistics, Readiness, & Energy Portfolio, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, the Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
13. August 2014 - July 2015, Student, Eisenhower School, National Defense University, Fort Leslie J. McNair, Washington D.C.
14. July 2015 - July 2016, Executive Officer to the Commander, Air Force Sustainment Center, Tinker AFB, Okla.
15. July 2016 - July 2017, Deputy Commander, Propulsion Maintenance Group, Oklahoma Air Logistics Complex, Tinker AFB, Okla.
16. July 2017 - July 2018, Chief, Maintenance Systems and Operations Division, Headquarters Air Combat Command, Langley AFB, Va.
17. July 2018 - Present, Commander, 28th Maintenance Group, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Air Force Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal
Air and Space Campaign Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Long
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Longevity Service Award with four oak leaf clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Pistol)
Air Force Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 23, 1996
First Lieutenant July 19, 1998
Captain July 19, 2000
Major July 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel November 1, 2011
Colonel January 1, 2018
(Current as of May 2018)