Colonel Sara B. Deaver is commander of the 28th Mission Support Group, Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D. She leads a group of nearly 2,000 military, civilian and contractor professionals in planning, organizing, coordinating and implementing installation services and support to over to 8,500 military and civilian personnel and their families.
Colonel Deaver entered the Air Force in 1996 upon graduation from the United States Air Force Academy with a Bachelor of Science degree in civil engineering. As a civil engineer, she has served as a programmer, design engineer, readiness flight commander, chief of design and construction, programs flight commander, operations flight commander and was a two-time civil engineer squadron commander.
Prior to her current assignment, Colonel Deaver was the Deputy Director, Manpower, Personnel & Services and Chief of Senior Leader Management, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana. She was responsible for propelling the directorate’s business operations engine and guiding a high-impact staff that develops and executes manpower and personnel policies, programs and objectives supporting the command’s 31,000 military and civilian professionals. She was also directly responsible for Air Force Global Strike Command senior leaders’ assignment actions, board attendance, promotion cycles and education opportunities.
Her deployments include air expeditionary group executive officer, Bagram AB, Afghanistan, supporting Operation Enduring Freedom; SOCCENT Civil Engineer, MacDill AFB, Fla., supporting all Southwest Asia operations; and Deputy Commander, 467th Expeditionary Prime BEEF Squadron, Balad AB, Iraq, supporting Operations Iraqi Freedom and New Dawn.
1996 Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
2001 Master of Science, Engineering and Emergency Management, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2003 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence)
2012 Air War College (correspondence)
2013 Joint Combined Warfare School, Joint Forces Staff College, Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
1. August 1996 – October 1997, Design Engineer, 65th Civil Engineer Squadron, Lajes Field, Azores, Portugal
2. October 1997 – September 1999, Readiness Flight Commander, 86th Civil Engineer Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
3. September 1999 – May 2001, Facilities Engineer, Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force, Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
4. May 2001 – May 2002, Civilian, Product Distribution Manager, Pepsi Bottling Group, Newport News,
5. May 2002 – June 2003, Chief of Design and Construction, 354th Civil Engineer Squadron, Eielson AFB, Alaska
6. June 2003 – May 2005, Executive Officer, 354th Operations Group, Eielson AFB, Alaska
7. May 2005 – May 2006, Chief of Mission Support Division, Combat Support Center of Excellence Ramstein AB, Germany
8. May 2006 – June 2008, Chief of O&M Programs, and Chief of Plans and Requirements, HQ United States Air Forces in Europe, Ramstein AB, Germany
9. June 2008 – June 2009, Programs Flight Commander, 8th Civil Engineer Squadron, Kunsan AB, Korea
10. June 2009 – May 2011, Operations Flight Commander, 31st Civil Engineer Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy
11. June 2011 – June 2013, Commander, 319th Civil Engineer Squadron, Grand Forks AFB, N.D.
12. June 2013 – September 2013, Student, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
13. September 2013 – March 2014, Section Head, Joint Engineer Plans, Allied Joint Force Command Naples, Naples, Italy
14. March 2014 – June 2015, Deputy Executive Officer to the Commander, Allied Joint Force Command Naples and Commander, United States Naval Forces Europe/Africa, Naples Italy
15. July 2015 – July 2017, Commander, 2nd Civil Engineer Squadron, Barksdale AFB, La.
16. July 2017 – July 2018, Deputy Director, Manpower, Personnel & Services and Chief, Senior Leader Management, HQ Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
17. July 2018 – Present, Commander, 28th Mission Support Group, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with seven oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May1996
First Lieutenant May 1998
Captain May 2000
Major June 2006
Lieutenant Colonel September 2011
Colonel December 2017
(Current as of June 2018)