Col. Joseph L. Sheffield is commander of the 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota, the largest B-1 combat wing in the United States Air Force, with 27 aircraft and more than 12,000 active duty military, civilian employees, and family members. He provides combat-ready aircraft, crews and associated combat support for global engagement taskings.
Colonel Sheffield received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy. He has served in a variety of B-1 operational assignments including 34th Bomb Squadron director of operations, 37th Bomb Squadron commander, and 28th Operations Group deputy commander. He commanded the 37th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron on two deployments to Southwest Asia. His staff assignments include Chief of Future Operations and Executive Officer at 17th Air Force/Air Forces Africa. He also served in the Operations Directorate (J3) for the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff as Global Force Management Branch Chief and then Division Chief of the National Military Command System Operations. Prior to his current position, he served as commander of the 36th Operations Group at Andersen Air Force Base, Guam.
Colonel Sheffield is a command pilot with more than 3,600 flying hours and 1,125 combat hours.
1997 Bachelor of Science, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 U.S. Air Force Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2008 Masters in Business Administration, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Neb.
2009 Masters in Military Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Masters in Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Masters in National Security and Resource Strategy, Dwight D. Eisenhower School, Washington D.C.
- October 1997 - December 1998, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, 47th Flying Training Wing, Laughlin AFB, Texas
- January 1999 - September 1999, Student, B-1 Initial Qualification, 7th Bomb Wing, Dyess AFB, Texas
- October 1999 - December 2003, B-1 Instructor Pilot, Evaluator Pilot, Flight Commander, 7th Bomb Wing, Dyess AFB, Texas
- January 2004 - June 2004, Student, USAF Weapons Instructor Course, 7th Bomb Wing, Dyess AFB, Texas
- July 2004 - June 2008, Squadron & Wing Weapons Officer, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
- July 2008 - July 2009, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- July 2009 - July 2010, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- July 2010 - July 2012, Chief, Future Operations & Executive Officer, 17th Air Force, Ramstein Air Base, Germany
- August 2012 - March 2014, Director of Operations, 34th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
- April 2014 - March 2016, Commander, 37th Bomb Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
- March 2016 - August 2016, Deputy Commander, 28th Operations Group, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
- August 2016 - June 2017, Student, National Defense University, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
- June 2017 - June 2018, Branch Chief, Global Force Management, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Pentagon, Va.
- June 2018 - June 2019, Division Chief, National Military Command System Operations, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Pentagon, Va.
- July 2019 - June 2021, Commander, 36th Operations Group, Andersen AFB, Guam
- June 2021 – Present, Commander, 28th Bomb Wing, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2017 - June 2019, Division Chief, National Military Command System Operations and Branch Chief, Global Force Management, Operations Directorate (J3), Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Pentagon, Va.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: 3,600 hours, including 1,125 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: B-1, B-52, KC-135, T-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Dec. 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2012
Colonel Aug. 1, 2018
(Current as of June 2021)