Col. Robert A. Corby is the commander of the 28th Medical Group, Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota. He commands more than 240 active-duty military and civilian members, and, is responsible for ensuring maximum wartime readiness by operating a community-based healthcare system maintaining the health and morale of Air Force members through accessible, quality medical and dental care for 17,000 beneficiaries.
Col. Corby was born in Passaic, N.J. He enlisted in the Air Force in 1991 as an Airman First Class, and was assigned as a security police apprentice, 377th Security Police Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M. In 1994, he retrained as a medical laboratory apprentice and was assigned to the 81st Medical Group, Keesler AFB, Miss. Upon completion of a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice in 1999, he completed a Masters in Public Administration in 2001 and a Masters of Business Administration in 2002. In December 2001, he was directly commissioned into the Medical Service Corps and assigned as the resource management flight commander at the 20th Medical Group, Shaw AFB, S.C. In subsequent assignments, Col. Corby has held positions as deputy chief, Medical Service Corps Education and Utilization Branch, Medical Service Corps Education and Utilization Fellow, information systems flight commander, group practice manager and medical group executive officer.
Col. Corby also served as the 366th Medical Support Squadron commander and Medical Group Hospital Administrator for the 366th Medical Group at Mountain Home AFB. He is a board certified member of the Health Information and Management Systems Society and an active member of the American College of Healthcare Executives.
1999 Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, University of Southern Mississippi
2001 Master of Science in Public Administration, University of Southern Mississippi
2002 Master of Business Administration, William Carey College
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2010 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2012 Air War College by correspondence
2016 Master of Strategic Studies Degree, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. April 2002 - March 2004, Resource Management Flight Commander, 20th Medical Group, Shaw AFB, S.C.
2. March 2004 - July 2005, Group Practice Manager, 20th Medical Group, Shaw AFB, S.C.
3. July 2005 - August 2007, Information Systems Flight Commander, 45th Medical Group, Patrick AFB, Fla.
4. August 2007 - July 2008, Fellow, Medical Service Corps Education and Utilization Branch, Air Force Personnel Center, Randolph AFB, Texas
5. July 2008 - June 2009, Assignments Officer, Medical Service Corps Education and Utilization Branch, AFPC, Randolph AFB, Texas
6. June 2009 - September 2010, Deputy Chief, Medical Service Corps Education and Utilization Branch, AFPC, Randolph AFB, Texas
7. September 2010 – June 2013, Chief, Medical Logistics Division Support Branch, Air Force Medical Operations Agency, Office of the Surgeon General, Fort Detrick, Md.
8. June 2013 – July 2015, Commander, 366th Medical Support Squadron and Hospital Administrator, 366th Medical Group, Mountain Home AFB, Idaho
9. July 2015 – May 2016, Senior Developmental Education Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. May 2016 – August 2018, Associate Director, Medical Service Corps & Deputy Chief, Medical Manpower and Personnel Division, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General, Falls Church, Va.
11. August 2018 – July 2019, Director, Medical Service Corps & Chief, Medical Manpower and Personnel Division, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General, Falls Church, Va.
12. July 2019 – Present, Commander, 28th Medical Group, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with one silver cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Air Force Good Conduct Medal with three oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Iraq Campaign Medal
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
First Lieutenant Dec. 27, 2001
Captain Dec. 27, 2003
Major Feb. 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2012
Colonel June 1, 2019